Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Post Productions


‘’Creativity is something that is inherent and cannot be learned’’. In your experience detail how the post production of your media products developed your creative skills.

 I am going to explore how my post productions have contributed to the process of the creative decision making and how my processes I have followed from my foundation portfolio to my advanced portfolio. 

In my foundation portfolio my partner and I have produced a thriller opening sequence which was a hybrid of two different genres, one which was crime and other was man on the run. We have used these genre conventions mainly to create tension and suspense throughout the video, as it was a opening sequence we wanted the audience to feel the pressure of the protagonist. As a group we came to an idea of using our main opening based on CCTV footages. We have used different styles to overcome both the sub genres, for example the different camera shots we have used to as CCTV footage for the 'crime' genre and the protagonist as the 'man on the run' genre. We have used simple editing and camera shots throughout the opening, and used editing software - final cut express was suitable enough to create the suspense in our opening thriller.

However, in my advanced portfolio we have used a more advanced creativity and post productions to produce a professional video. In our advanced portfolio we had to produce a music video from an existing artist. As my partner was an existing upcoming UK artist, I was lucky to use his own single called ‘’Starry Eyed Remix’’. As the genre of this music was rap based, we followed the stereotypical style of all rap music videos. The music video we have produced was much different compared to the opening sequence we have made at AS, requiring use of different types of transitions and more advanced camera shots, as our framing was more accurate.

The film opening mainly focused on the continuity editing. We had to introduce the main characters, establish a setting, and create an enigma - all to make the audience suspend their disbelief and accept the world which you had created as being realistic. The continuity techniques to do these included things such as match on action, the 180-degree rule, and the shot/reverse-shot pattern. In our thriller opening we have mainly used match on action, for example the different camera angles of the CCTV footage of the protagonist getting out the lift and accidently picking up the secret tape.


In our A2 project our editing and camera skills was very different compared to our AS project. This was due to the different locations we have come across in our music video. As our music genre was rap, all the footages were based outdoors. We have also used a more advanced camera which has enabled to make our music video more professional, for example the use of focusing in and out of the frame of the shot. To conclude I believe that from my foundation to my advanced portfolio, I have successfully improved my creativity skills, as I was more used to the editing software’s and technologies. I also believe that my final products in both AS and A2 has fitted the genre we aimed for perfectly and also achieved our target audiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment